Happy Wednesday, everyone! Last week, I discussed how letter boards are a great way to incorporate a dash of personality in a flat lay. A popular staple in blogging communities, they’re one of my favourite props to include in photos and are a fairly inexpensive way to showcase your interests and passions to your audience.
As amazing as letter boards are, the idea of using them in flat lays can seem daunting if you’re a letter board newbie. Coming up with a quote that’s both witty and funny can seem scary. If that’s the case for you, then I have a few pointers and funny quote ideas for letter boards that might help.
Use pop culture as a reference
Personally, I love adding a line from a TV show, film or song to letter boards. Not only does it show my readers what pop culture I’m into, but it’s also a huge help if I’m struggling to think of something punny to put on a board. Current pop culture, will help make flat lays look contemporary, whilst older films or TV shows might offer nostalgia to your audience.
Choose universal topics
As well as using quotes from pop culture, another tip for letter board newbies is to create quotes about universal topics. This way a larger number of people will be able to relate to the quote and it will help ease the niggling fear that your audience might not understand the quote. Take my latest letter board stock photo pack for instance. In this pack, I centred the theme around Monday morning and the struggle of it. I included quotes about coffee on the boards and quips about waking up.
Use Pinterest and Instagram as inspiration
Another good place to look for letter board quotes is Pinterest and Instagram. Quotes are often posted time and time again on both the sites and using them can be a massive help if you’re struggling to create one yourself. I personally have a Pinterest board full of letter board quotes that I use as inspiration. It’s a great resource to turn to when I’m struggling and sure to get me chuckling.
Here’s just a few ideas from that board:
- ‘Home is where the wifi connects.’
- ‘I was born to be wild… but only till 9pm.’
- ‘I’m not lazy. I’m on energy saving mode.’
- ‘You can’t please everyone. You’re not a taco.’
- ‘I will start working when my coffee does.’
- ‘Wake up. Kick ass. Sleep. Repeat.’
- ‘Happiness is… not having to set an alarm the next day.’
- ‘If Monday’s were shoes, they’d be crocs.’
- ‘Sometimes when things are dark, and I’m all alone I think, ‘What would Buffy do?’ – Xander Harris’
- ‘Sorry I didn’t answer my phone. I don’t use it for that.’
- ‘My favourite childhood memory is not paying for things…’
- ‘Drink wine. It’s 5pm somewhere.’
- ‘Welcome to adulthood. It’s mostly just googling how to do stuff.’
- ‘Surround yourself with pizza… not negativity.’
- ‘Never let anyone treat you like a yellow Starburst. You’re a pink Starburst.’
- ‘Things to do today: 1) Nap. 2) Nap.’
- ‘I like to party and by party, I mean take naps.’
- ‘I don’t even believe myself when I say I’ll be ready in five minutes.’
- ‘Maybe she’s born with it. Maybe it’s an Instagram filter.’
- ‘I’m just having an allergic reaction to the Universe. – Seth Cohen’
- ‘If you’re feeling moody, shake your booty.’
- ‘Wine tonight? A) Yes. B) Yes.’
- ‘A yawn is a silent cry for more coffee.’
- ‘The only marathon I run is 5 seasons on Netflix.’
- ‘You know my code: Hoes before bros. Uteruses before duderuses. Ovaries before brovaries. – Leslie Knope.’
- ‘I came, I saw, I napped.’
- ‘I was throwing in the towel, but then I saw my laundry pile…’
- ‘Wearing all black to mourn the loss of my motivation.’
- ‘My brain is like my internet browser. I have too many tabs open and half of them are frozen.’
- ‘Don’t read the next sentence… You’re a rebel, I like you.’
- ‘Today is cancelled.’
- ‘I don’t need an inspirational quote. I need coffee.’
- ‘Roses are red, violets are blue, poems are hard…. wine.’
- ‘Unagi is a state of total awareness. Only by achieving true Unagi can you prepare for any danger that may fall on you. – Ross Gellar’
- ‘Make Monday your b*tch.’
- ‘May your coffee kick in before reality does.’
- ‘There’s no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.’
- ‘I’m not avoiding anything. I’m going to find coffee. – Lorelai Gilmore’
How do you come up with letter board quotes? Let me know in the comments below. Alternatively, suggest your own letter board quote and I’ll add it to the list above. Until next time.